When you eat the same food for breakfast nearly every day, we’ve found it’s important to change the variety of ingredients in order to avoid never wanting to eat it ever again.
On our first real day in Bulgaria, I came across peanut butter heaven. In the city of Petrich, I found a woman who sold local handmade peanut butter. In large quantities.
Despite a recent conversation about my ever growing bag of food, I ignored logic and went ahead and purchased the large jar. I mean, we hadn’t seen freshly ground peanut butter throughout our entire visit to Europe. I couldn’t not buy the large jar. It was hard enough purchasing only one.
I knew the perfect recipe to celebrate my find.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats.
I carry around a gallon-sized ziplock bag of pre-made muesli, the ingredients of which change depending on what I can find in the stores. There are always oats, and groats (if I can find them), seeds of some sort, generally sunflower or pumpkin, some kind of nut like almonds or hazelnuts, and dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, or goji berries (which are SO cheap in Europe).
This recipe works with either oats alone or a mix like I have. Either way, it’s the chocolate and the peanut butter who are the stars of the show here. And Sora, my adorable assistant.
This recipe comes together in just minutes, so even when we’ve had a long day on the bike, I can always summon the energy to throw the ingredients together just before bed.
We travel with our beloved 16oz Klean Kanteen Vacuum Insulated Food Canister, which just happens to be the perfect size to make one serving of these oats. The insulation prevents any milk from going bad overnight if the temperature fails to act as a refrigerant and its tight seal prevents not only spillage, but also keeps any critters from getting into our breakfast.
In fact, we love ours so much that we have partnered with Klean Kanteen to give you one of your own. Enter the Rafflecopter below between for one of four ways to enter. I will notify the randomly selected winner on or around 11 November (depending on our Internet availability!). Please note: the contest is open to U.S. residents only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway closed and winner has been notified. Congratulations, Patty!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice (maple syrup, agave, etc.)
- Pinch of salt if using unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk powder + 3/4 cup of water OR 3/4 cup of plant-based milk
- Add dry ingredients, including milk powder to your lidded vessel of choice (anything 16oz or larger will fit the contents) and stir together.
- Pour the water or milk into the canister and stir to combine.
- Secure with a tight lid and allow to sit overnight.
- In the morning, open and consume.
- Topping suggestions: Raw cacao nibs, banana slices, nuts.
- Please note that the total cooking time includes soaking overnight.
- Klean Kanteen generously provided our food canister and we love it. We wouldn't tell you to use it otherwise.